The pie she serves to her discriminating gourmand husband is creamy and tart and decorated with a few “cosmetic sprinkles of graham cracker crumbs” or “delicate traces of grated lime peel.” Lucky John!
Janet Paschal’s KEY LIME PIE
• 4 eggs, separated (reserve 3 whites for meringue)
• 1 can (14oz.) sweetened, condensed milk
• ½ cup lime juice
• 2-3 teaspoons grated lime peel
• 1 baked 9-inch pastry shell
• ½ teaspoon cream of tartar
• ½ cup sugar
Beat egg yolks; stir in milk, lime juice and peel.
Beat one egg white until stiff; fold into milk mixture.
Turn into pastry shell.
Beat reserved egg whites with cream of tartar until foamy; gradually add sugar, beating until stiff but not dry.
Spread meringue on top of pie, sealing carefully to edge of shell.
Bake at 350 degrees for 15 minutes or until meringue is golden brown. Cool.
Chill before serving.