This recipe is with the original microwave directions I came up with early on in our marriage. Since our family has grown over the years, I usually end up making this on the stove in a large soup pot and quadrupling the recipe. When we’re all together — which doesn’t happen as often as we’d like! — you’ll find us gathered around the family table sharing a meal and this one has been served often. It’s also one of the recipes that made it into our cookbook, Phelps Phamily Phare — a collection of favorite recipes handed down from family, collected over time or just plain made up!
Potato Ham Cheese Chowder
• 2 medium potatoes — cubed
• 1 large yellow onion — diced
• 3 tablespoons butter
• ½ cup water
• 3 cups milk
• ¼ cup flour
• a dash of pepper
• 1 ½ cups cubed cooked ham
• 8 ounces Velveeta cheese
1. Combine the potatoes, onion, butter
and water in a large microwavable bowl.
2. Microwave on high 10 to 12 minutes or until potatoes are tender
3. Set aside the bowl for a bit. Next combine milk, flour and pepper in a measuring cup. Stir until smooth.
4. Microwave uncovered 6 to 7 minutes or until the mixture boils and thickens. Stir every 2 minutes.
5. Add in potatoes, ham and cheese. Microwave uncovered 2 minutes or until cheese is melted..
Order your copy of Phelps Phamily Phare by visiting davidphelps.com.